What are the advantages to implants?
Dental implants allow for a replacement of a single missing tooth or several missing teeth. Perhaps you were born without a tooth or have had to have teeth removed due to injury, infection, or decay.
If you have a missing tooth, there are several options. You could get a bridge, dentures, implant(s), or do nothing. Here are 5 advantages of dental implants (AAID, 2022).
- Feel, look, fit, and function like healthy, natural teeth.
- Don’t slip or click when you talk, eat, or laugh
- Stimulate bone and prevent changes in face shape and jaw deterioration.
- Restore the ability to chew and eat healthy foods.
- Improve confidence and mental health.
Types of Dental Implants
There are different types of dental implants, depending on how many teeth are missing. If you are missing one tooth, you may need a single implant, whereas if you’re missing several teeth, you may need an implant supported bridge or an implant retained over-denture.
Several teeth are replaced with a bridge, anchored to implants.
A crown anchored to an implant.
A removable denture anchored to the implants.