The Hygienist - Recognizing the role dental hygienists play in improving the health of their patients
Every October is National Dental Hygiene Month. The American Dental Hygienists’ Association (ADHA) initiates a national campaign to celebrate and recognize the role dental hygienists play in improving the health of their patients, as well as spread awareness about the importance of oral health.
During this month the goal is to:
- Promote the value of oral health. Good oral health is essential for overall health, so this month is all about the importance of maintaining your healthy smile.
- Encourage you to evaluate your own oral home care routines. It is recommended to brush twice a day for 2 minutes and clean between your teeth once a day.
- Celebrate your dental hygienist. The role of the dental hygienist is aimed at prevention of oral disease with consideration on whole-body health.
What does a dental hygienist accomplish during my appointment?
- Reviews your medical history
- Vital sign evaluation
- Periodontal Risk Assessment (includes all supporting tissue around the teeth)
- Oral Cancer Screening
- Radiographs (x-rays)
- Salivary Flow Detection
- Caries (cavity) Examination
- Oral Hygiene Instruction
- Nutritional Counseling
- Preventive Therapy to remove plaque and tartar from teeth
When visiting your dental professional, it is much more than a teeth cleaning. Your mouth and body are connected. Cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, pneumonia, arthritis, preterm birth/ low birth weight, cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, obesity, and osteoporosis are examples where research has identified a correlation between oral and general health.
Remember this month and always to show your dental hygienist some appreciation!